Friday, November 20, 2009

One Woman's Thoughts on Thanksgiving


It's the week of Thanksgiving. All other topics pale by comparison. How did we get to Thanksgiving? Is life rushing by for you, too? As the owner of NoKa and NoKa Joe's, Thanksgiving and the Holidays bring excitement, activity and lots of work. I need all my staff to work extra hours or I'll be here 24/7. I made a list of things that have to get done in the store, pronto! Its length is daunting. My shoulders are hiked up around my ears with stress. But...I love the holidays in our store and welcome the additional business. The atmosphere is fun and festive and happy. As a mom, I always want the holidays to be about family. I'd like to work less, be home more. I'd like to make cookies (my kids would faint if I made cookies...) and decorate the house. Maybe have a small cocktail party....see friends more. I'd like to shop thoughtfully for presents; to slow down so I can remember, with my family, what these holidays are about. These two parts of my life are in direct conflict with each other. Go faster! Make it perfect! Slow down! The conflict always makes me a little blue. And I know I've done this to myself. The store will be great. My family will be wonderful. I need to lower my expectations and raise my eyes to the wonder all around me. To be thankful. Harder than it sounds, but I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment